Number of weeks: 6
Required books?: Yes
Live video session?: Yes
Part of a certification or series of courses?: Yes
In this 6-week course, learners will explore all the basics of church youth ministry. You will develop a philosophy of Youth Ministry using theologically sound components in addition to creating a long range vision and plan for ministry in your own setting. Topics covered will include ethics, boundaries, finances, volunteers, retreats, mission trips, parents, communication, self-care and more.
About the course resources: We will get into the nuts and bolts of doing youth ministry using the Robbins book and then gain additional insight into youth ministry from the additional readings that you will read and then share insight from your reading. Everyone will benefit from a wide range of knowledge while only being required to read two of the resources listed.
Students are required to have the following book for this class:
- Youth Ministry Nuts and Bolts, Revised and Updated: Organizing, Leading, and Managing Your Youth Ministry, by Duffy Robbins
And students must also choose and purchase one book from this list:
- Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers is Telling the American Church, by Kendra Creasy Dean
- Youth Ministry Management Tools 2.0: Everything You Need to Successfully Manage Your Ministry, by Mike Work & Ginny Olson
- The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher’s Life, by Parker J. Palmer
- Contemplative Youth Ministry: Practicing the Presence of Jesus, by Mark Yaconelli
- United Methodist Youth Handbook, by Micheal Selleck
This course is eligible for 3.0 CEU.
About the Instructor
Bill Podschun has been in youth ministry over 40 years and at Winfield First United Methodist for 32 years. He has eight children who are spread all over the United States, all of which survived his youth ministry. One of his greatest loves is working with college students as interns to develop their love for youth and ministry. He has a love for spending time developing relationships with youth and working in a spiritual learning environment.