Number of weeks: 6
Required books?: Yes
Live video session?: No
Part of a certification or series of courses?: No
For the purpose of this course, the instructor defines Caregivers as those who are parents of those with disabilities, spouses taking care of spouses, partners taking care of partners, and teens/ adults caring for parents and siblings.
The Caregiver is also a patient advocate. Through this course we will be looking at the storms of life and how we as pastors and/or lay members who do visitations can support Caregivers. During the course, you will develop a program to give support to Caregivers in your local community.
Caregivers are all around us. How can we be there for them? How can we provide spiritual support for them?
You’ll need copies of the following books for this class:
- In Sickness and In Health: Caring for a Loved One with Alzheimer’s, by William M. Grubbs
- Scared Rhythms: Arranging Our Lives for Spiritual Transformation, by Ruth Haley Barton
The following downloads are included in the course and will be available once it begins:
- Harriet’s updated book, Caring for the Caregiver
- Sample downloads of materials for marketing the Caregiver Support group and handouts for the Caregivers
- Sample downloads of Harriet’s EveryDay Caregiver Planner and the Everyday Patient Planner
This course will run for 6 weeks and is eligible for 1.0 CEU.
About the Instructor
Harriet Wilkin serves as a Local Pastor in the Pacific Northwest Conference of the United Methodist Church. She has a Bachelor’s degree in Business of Science in Administration/ Management, and a Bachelor’s of Arts degree in Critical Communications. Harriet graduated in 2015 with her Master of Divinity degree from Claremont School of Theology.
Harriet has been in ministry in faith communities for nearly 20 years, which includes being involved with children, youth, young adults, adults and those with disabilities. She has also been a caregiver for both her mom and her husband. As a pastor, she offers caregiver support to the community she serves.
Harriet’s website is: https://hwilkin.wixsite.com/hwministries